Revamping the Indian Fuel Industry
There seems to be a meteoric evolution and expansion taking place in the Indian Fuel Industry owing to the fact that India is the third-largest consumer of oil with 103 billion liters consumption of diesel solely. Now there is nothing new about the fact that fuel is very much a day-to-day necessity these days. Further its demands are increasing rapidly in an era hugely dependent on energy-driven pieces of machinery. Inspired by this ideology our team proposes a start-up namely ‘Fuelistic’, that holds the potential to completely change the fuel consumption scenario of India.
But why do we need Fuelistic?
Basically, because such increasing demands result in a lot of issues. Long queues in front of pumps are a common scenario these days. Large setups procure from OMC depots. With depots being limited in number; diesel is transported from a distance of 200 km (on average). The transportation of fuel, labor appointed, and maintenance of vehicles itself costs in lakhs. In the case of bulk orders, oil pilferage and adulteration by mixing cheaper substitutes to gain profits is common malpractice.
With ‘Fuelistic’, We propose Door-to-Door Delivery of fuel (mainly diesel) with the following motives: -
· To make our app user friendly, simple, and provide an impressive user experience.
· The main focus is on the successful implementation of GPS tracking so that it can be used by both users and dealers to tackle issues like adulteration and avoid loss.
· Maintaining proper records so that our users don’t have to worry about receipts and have the whole history of transactions made and orders placed.
· We want our customers to feel free to share their queries and we will try to cover all the FAQs.
Key features of our app
Order Statistics: Maintains proper records and history of data with additional features of graphical representation of order statistics. These stats include quantity, date, time, and venue of fuel ordered.
GPS: The backbone of this app is GPS service to track the location where the service is to be delivered. It is integrated on both the partner and the user side.
Register complaints: We provide users with two simple options to resolve their issues. First, to make direct contact with agents, and second, ask our conversational bot to resolve small issues.
Buy+Sell fuel: Emerging Fuel Entrepreneurs (FuelEnts) will have an opportunity in a bigger and more sophisticated market through Fuelistic
We compete in such an unpredictable market where everything changes are extremely spontaneous and frequent; New technologies, new products, better offers are introduced every day. To thrive in such a market, it is a necessity to hold one’s consumer. We through our User-Centred Design have tried to create a connection with our user. To give the user a personalized product experience, we have used exciting yet self-explanatory symbols, icons, and pictures throughout the application. We have taken into account the principles and rules of Material Design and yet tried to give a personalized experience to every user.
Similar businesses worldwide
The concept of the door-to-door delivery of fuels is not unheard of in foreign countries like the US and Canada even in India we have many successful companies with a similar concept like Fuelbuddy, Mypetrolpump. Despite the fact that they require high caution and skilled labor, such businesses are a huge success, and here is a list of such existing companies across the globe-
· Booster (This is on-site gasoline and diesel delivery service provider) Funding- 93M USD
· Filld (On-demand fuel ordering platform, regular routes with trained drivers) Funding-29M USD
· Zebra Fuel (On-demand fuel delivery service) Funding- 3M USD
· Bluewave Energy (Distributor of Fuels like diesel and propane including Lubricant Products and heating oil to commercial and residential customers) Financing status- Formerly PE(private equity)-Backed
· Toplivo v Bak (was a fuel delivery start-up) later Bought by Yandex. (Russian car manufacturer)
Toplivo V Bak and rival Pumps deliver fuel directly to parked cars
Learning outcomes and experience
Our aim to learn and create android apps has been fulfilled. We have successfully created an application with all the basic functionalities of a selling/buying application. It qualifies all the material design criteria and is very user friendly even for first-time users. Further, we aim to focus on creating more advanced features.
We are now familiar with the functionalities of android studio and various google cloud APIs like firebase and Dialogflow. Engaging in such a project helped us to learn about the finer details of launching a startup the legal and ethical points involved in them.
Overall, it was a tremendously engaging experience.